Ft. St. George
October - November 2013
Cowford archaeologists located and recorded a large rectangular dirt and shell earthwork near Ft. George Island. An extensive oyster shell midden is located along the marsh edge near the earthwork. We suspect the earthwork to be Ft. St. George, built by British General James Oglethorpe as the southernmost outpost of the British controlled part of the Americas. It was later used for staging troops for his 1740 siege on Castillo de San Marcos in St. Augustine. Future testing of the site is anticipated to confirm its cultural or temporal affiliation.
Click here to see the text of the TV 47 interview about our earthworks find.